Thursday 14 April 2011

Snake Eyes - The troubles and traumas of animating dice



This was my test scene of the dice rolling which I was pleased with. I liked how the dice fell and looked realistic when coming in contact with the table. I then tried to import this into my main scene through merging it with the other objects in the room, which unfortunately was not as successful as I had anticipated!




This was my first attempt at merging the dice roll with the other objects in the scene. For some strange reason I have yet to discover, one of the die slides backwards along the table. I was pleased, however with the way the dice landed displaying the 5 and 2, showing 7, which gives a nod towards 007.



Never under estimate the power of gravity! (or render time!)

Here is a video clip of my animated dice, after spending about 2 hours rendering on the old laptop. The next attempt at rendering this particular section of animation, the dice made it to the table however this time they decided to fall straight through it! It seems that silly mistakes are a habit of mine and after this module I can safely say that I have learnt a great deal through trial and a great deal of error!




This video was particularly annoying as after I rendered it out I realised that the wall behind the dice to the left of the scene had the material attached to the opposite side of the wall and therefore was not visable upon finishing the animation.



 This video was from a different angle to the previous one and it shows the dice coming towards the camera more which was my intention, however this time the table plane holding the texas hold them bitmap shifts slightly. I am unsure as to the reason for this, I can only assume that in my manipulation of the reactor scene I must have moved the plane holding the image unwittingly at some point.





I am quite pleased with how I have manipulated this poker chip to look as though it is running along the table towards the glass. I particularly liked how the holographic style material I have chosen for the extracted edges of the chip reflect the scene around it. The timing is how I wanted it although I did try to rotate the chip as it moved. This did not have the desired effect, rather than ‘rolling’ along the table it seemed to spin and wobble in the air. I took this to have something to do with the pivot point of the object however I did not have enough time to accomplish the ‘rolling’ effect that I intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment